Tuesday, December 13, 2005

Food Pet Peeve - Pre Cooked Hor Fun

Fancy beef hor-fun made by pouring hot beef over cold pre-cooked hor-fun?

What is wrong with Zi Char places in Singapore?

Almost all places I've went to, from the small hawker Zi Char, to respectable places like Zi Yean, their hor fun is utter crap. Vomit inducing shite.

You might ask me, why?

If you don't know already, usually they pre-cook their hor-fun earlier in the day (just stir fry the hor-fun dry in a wok, pour soy sauce) and keep it in a warmer.

When the customer order, ie seafood horfun, they simply cook the ingredients + sauce in the wok, and pour over the hot sauce over the cold/lukewarm pre-cooked hor fun.

The simple fact to this is that, in the name of efficiency, many places has compromised on their standards.

Sure, it saves time, you remove the tedious procedure of cooking the hor-fun, then cooking the sauce with the hor-fun.

Now you just pre-cook the hor-fun hours before, and later cook the sauce and pour it over when an order arrives.

Until you've eaten a real piping hot beef hor-fun made lovingly from scratch, you'll always accept this lazy method of cooking as normal, and pay good money for it. This is the ultimate tragedy.

It may be acceptable to most patrons, but it is not good enough for me.

Please tell me I'm not alone.

8 comments:

Unknown said...

Beef Kway Teow never has failed me.

Vinstones said...

that is definitely not acceptable to me..

but I have come to love the dessert from this hawker stall Soon Huat Desserts.

The last time I came across this dessert in Singapore, I went all the way there to sample 7 of their top recommendation at one go!

(was attracted by the pictures here)
http://soonhuat.com.sg/desserts.html

Verdict :
Best : Red Tea Jelly
Unique : Strawberry Ice Kachang
Exotic : Chendol (Oh my, it was made of coconut milk! but mmm... delicious)

Unknown said...

I don't have any pet peeves, but I do have odd eating habits. Mustard especially honey mustard with fries is great, but my favorite with them is BBQ sauce. Sometimes, for lunch , I will only eat a plate of canned mushrooms or almost a jar of pickled okra. On my cheese and crackers, I put mayo on top. With ranch doritos, I squirt mustard. I have very different eating habits and will eat a lot of things that other people would touch alligator meat for example.
------------------
hazel


Guaranteed ROI

Unknown said...

Bavaria's most popular brat is fully cooked and ready to grill! This mildly spiced, Sheboygan-style bratwurst contains no nitrates or preservatives. 6 lb. and 10 lb. boxes contain approximately 5 brats per pound. Ships Mondays, Tuesdays and Wednesdays only. Special Note: During periods of exceptionally warm summer weather, this product may require overnight shipping. You will be contacted if additional shipping costs are necessary.
-------------------
Gwensimson

Guaranteed ROI

Food Lover said...

There is one pretty nice one at holland drive commonly known as reh house. Sometimes about food is that they may not be consistent due to other factors for example the mood of the chef ha.

Sgfoodlover from Singapore favourite food

Best Green Organic said...

Check this Out!

100 Recipes - delicious and easy to prepare. Healthy and Good tasting!

http://www.bestgreenorganic.com/health-benefits-of-eating-more-fruits-and-vegetables.html

Scenes in Singapore life said...

I am not sure if there is any hor fun which is cooked completely to order. The standard MO is to pre-fry the noodles, and on order, the gravy with ingredients are cooked, and poured over the hor fun. This is fairly standard and I think there is nothing wrong with pre-cooked hor fun, but they must do the hor fun nicely, with strong wok hei. And the ingredients in the gravy must be good, fresh, and masterfully cooked.

Try this and see if you like the hor fun:

http://shiokhochiak.blogspot.com/2008/11/beef-hor-funmy-gold-standard-prince.html

Vampireċ¤˘ said...

not all stall are the same, i did went to this food court at leisure kallang park, they cook for u right after u order!!~~~