Tuesday, February 03, 2009

Kok Kee Wanton Noodles



Noodles with special sauce.

Every foodcourt has its typical mix of stalls - A chicken Rice stall, A fishball noodle stall, a wanton noodle stall.

And in every typical wanton noodle stall, they way they prep the noodles, is simply add a bit of soya sauce, sesame seed oil, a bit of standard factory processed chilli sauce that taste the same at every stall.

Not Kok Kee noodles.

They serve their noodles plain, with 2 pieces of wanton, some charsiew and slather the noodles with a clear sweet/savoury tasting secret sauce. I urge you to forgo the chilli sauce and savour the 原味。

Sometimes, the most uncomplicated, simplest combination of ingredients yield the greatest satisfaction.

Kok Kee wanton noodles - Lavender Food Centre - Open daily till late (~2am)

2 comments:

CARME CASASAYAS said...

hi merv!
I've been reading through your blog and you seem such an expert about food in Singapore! May I use this expertise to ask you a question?
I'm an exchange student (from Spain), and I've been living for a month now in Singapore, where I must recognize that the wide variety of food available in the country has impressed me in a good way!! And everything is so nice!! Now, my question is, is there any dish or food tipical from Singapore and not its surroundings? I mean, I've been to Indian restaurants, I've tryed Malaysian food and I've ordered Chinese dishes, but... is there any food that can only be found here in Singapore?
Thanks!!
Carme

Merv said...

Sadly no. There is no food that can only be found here in Singapore.

The flipside to this is, there is a wealth of choices/cuisines you can enjoy in Singapore.

You do not need to step out of Singapore just to enjoy them.